Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Round Two: Stimulation Injections

The On April 30th we began stimulation shots. This part of the process is designed to help the ovaries to make enough follicles and eggs using mediation. Without stimulating medications, the ovaries make and release only 1 mature egg per cycle. The goal here is to have several follicles grow so multiple eggs can be retrieved at one time. Ive listed the protocol for both rounds to compare.


Round 1 -
Stims Day 1-3 ~ Gonal F 175 & Menopur 75
Stims Day 4-6 ~ Gonal F 100 & Menopur 75
Stims Day 7-8 ~ Gonal F 100, Menopur 75, Cetrotite 0.25mg
Stims Day 9 ~ Trigger Shot Pregnyl
Day 10 ~ No Shots!  Oral Pills Zithromax, and Fluconazole.
Day 11 ~ Retrieval Day! (Retrieved 16 eggs, 11 were mature, 9 fertilized and 7 made it to day 5 blastocyst. Unfortunately only one was normal and nonaffected after PGD/PGS testing and resulted in a BFN after transfer.)


Round 2 -
Stims Day 1-5 ~ Gonal F 125 & Menopur 75
Stims Day 6-8 ~ Gonal F 125, Menopur 75, Cetrotite 0.25mg
Stims Day 9 ~  Gonal F 200, Cetrotite 0.25mg (this was only because I was out of Menopur and my coordinator said this would work the same) 
Stims Day 10 ~ Trigger Shot Ovidrel
Day 11 ~ No Shots!  Oral Pills Zithromax, and Fluconazole.
Day 12 ~ Retrieval Day! (Retrieved 32 Eggs, 22 were mature, 20 fertilized, and 16 made it to day five blastocysts)


Its hard to explain how differently these two rounds of stimming have been. I injected in my legs both times. Iced the injection site first, then Justin administered my shots. Menopur burns regardless, but the actual shots turn into a simple chore and I get a super cute Bandaid as a reward for. The first round I was so nervous and anxious and could not stop researching everything. I was eating well but added more sodium, stopped drinking completely, cut all caffeine and worked out lightly after the first 3 days. This time, it was just different. I was calmer, less anxious and knew what to expect. I had a glass of wine the night before we stated and once during. I had my usual cup of coffee in the morning. Drank ALOT of water. I worked out lightly after three days (that's when you can usually start to feel the bloating and they advise against anything extraneous). I still ate well but added more sodium as directed.

I felt well during the week of stims until around the end I was more and more losing my appetite. After retrieval I immediately gained 5lbs (that day!) and the insane bloating began to set in. It was much more painful this time and still took about a week to heal. My doctor did tell me that its worse depending on the higher number of eggs retrieved, but hey, it was worth it! Im also REALLY glad this part is over.

Now we wait the two weeks to find out how many of the little embies are healthy and unaffected by our disorder. Then the real fun begins!

I am so unbelievably thankful that we had such a successful stim round. I wish I knew who or what to give credit to from a protocol perspective. Im just so thankful that we were so blessed. Im really thankful for those we have in out life that are with us through this journey. Im also really happy and Justin and I are dedicating time to form our own opinions within our faith and God together. I know personally this has made me feel much better. Everything has been happy lately. Im beyond appreciative for everyone's prayers and support. I really really hope and pray that we continue to have happy news to share!

3 comments:

  1. Prayers that the good news continues to come your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amie thank you for always being so sweet and encouraging. :)

      Delete
  2. So happy! My prayers are with you and Justin. 32 eggs! 16 being tested! I want to do the happy dance for you. Love you Tracey. Can't wait for the updates!

    ReplyDelete